American Accents

I wrote my nine posts. I was actually sitting at my desk working on my summary for the blog when I googled how to pronounce Sunn m'Cheaux to make sure I was going to pronounce the name correctly in my final video. From there, that led me to this video about American accents.


I decided I had to share this video as a blog post. I'm not in love with all nine of my current posts. And since I took the time to watch all 20 minutes, I figured I can comment on what I learned and, hopefully, achieve all I was supposed to with this Discovery Journal.

I found this video about American accents incredibly interesting. 

Accent is identity.

This is so true. I love accents - even when I have a hard time understanding them. I had never really thought about how accents, in America, came to be. Singer explained so much of the history of the accents and why they have the features they do. Another very important point he made is that accents don't follow political boundaries. Instead they follow geographical boundaries based on settlement patterns and contact patterns. 

When Sunn m'Cheaux gave his information on the Gullah dialect, in this video, it reinforced so much of what I learned in my U.S. History I class this semester, as well. Colonizers left the enslaved people more "alone" in this area of the county and, as a result, the Gullah dialect was formed out of combined African languages and the English language. I love that two somewhat unrelated classes have taught me things about the history of my country and why language is the way it is across this vast nation.

The other main takeaway I got from this video is how time affects the diversity of accents in a geographical space. There are more accents on the East Coast of the US than there are past the Appalachian Mountains. This is because of how our country was colonized and how long people have been living in the different parts of the United States.

My own accent is what this video refers to as "general American". According to Singer that's a bad description of multiple accents being combined and no distinct regional features being in them. I think my next time suck will be watching part 2 of this series so I can see what Singer has to say about the accents in the Midwest.


Work cited:

Nast, Condé. “Accent Expert Gives a Tour of U.S. Accents.” WIRED, www.wired.com/video/watch/accent-expert-gives-a-tour-of-us-accents. Accessed 22 Nov 2022.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Like, totally, dude. This assignment is, like, awesome.

RACIOLINGUISTICS

Words matter.